The POSIX Thread API
- A number of vendors provide vendor-specific thread APIs. The IEEE specifies a standard 1003.1c-1995, POSIX API.
- Also referred to as Pthreads, POSIX has emerged as the standard threads API, supported by most vendors.
- We will use the Pthreads API for introducing multithreading concepts.
- The concepts themselves are largely independent of the API and can be used for programming with other thread APIs (NT threads, Solaris threads, Java threads, etc.) as well.
- All the illustrative programs presented in this chapter can be executed on workstations as well as parallel computers that support Pthreads.