Features of Intel Pentium Processor
Features of Intel Pentium Processor:-
- Complex Instruction Set Computer (CISC) architecture with Reduced Instruction Set Computer (RISC) performance.
- 64-Bit Bus
- Upward code compatibility.
- Pentium processor uses Superscalar architecture and hence can issue multiple instructions per cycle.
- Multiple Instruction Issue (MII) capability.
- Pentium processor executes instructions in five stages. This staging, or pipelining, allows the processor to overlap multiple instructions so that it takes less time to execute two instructions in a row.
- The Pentium processor fetches the branch target instruction before it executes the branch instruction.
- The Pentium processor has two separate 8-kilobyte (KB) caches on chip, one for instructions and one for data. It allows the Pentium processor to fetch data and instructions from the cache simultaneously.
- When data is modified, only the data in the cache is changed. Memory data is changed only when the Pentium processor replaces the modified data in the cache with a different set of data
- The Pentium processor has been optimized to run critical instructions in fewer clock cycles than the 80486 processor.